Sunday, June 24, 2012

Other Me

The Radio DJ asks, "If you weren't a musician, what would you be doing?"
And even though I've practiced the answers time and time again, for whatever reason, this one eludes me. I fall silent. My neurons are firing. My thoughts are tangled. Would I still be living in Russia? Would I have seen the things I've seen? Met the people I've met? Would I be the man I am?
Assuredly, those answers are 'no', but still I can't think of an alternative. I consider myself lucky to be sitting across from this DJ, talking music and Warped Tour and things that, in the grand scheme of things, aren't really important. I've worked so hard for so long to get to this point and all I can think about is the luck that's played into my life. The subtle moments of seeming insignificance that, like dominoes, lead to something, then something else, until you're face-down on the floor. Six-feet underground. In a better place. Or not.
"What would I be doing..." I trail, trying to bide by time. "Well, I'm not quite sure. But what I can tell you is this --" And I go on to talk about luck. About how successful people are quick to praise their own efforts but even quicker to dismiss the role that luck has played in their lives. And I don't mean luck as in fate. I believe luck comes to those who open themselves up to it. Who earn it. "So what would I be doing if I weren't here with you right now?"
The DJ shoots me a glare as if to say, 'finally'.
"Looking for a little luck."

1 comment:

  1. Haaaaaa! It's like the story about Bozo the clown... the story goes on for 25 minutes, but the end is nothing..punchless. That's to say, the question itself of 'what would you be doing if you were a musician' is so mute. You're clearly someone doing what you want to. So, if it weren't music, you'd be equally in love with this other something and make that your life. Then, the DJ would be asking you, "Tell me, Troy, if you weren't a Kiln Master?"
    It's not like you're a ditch digger where you're mind is always off in the distance on some fantasy lifestyle adventure (no offense to you ditch diggers out there, we do need them). You worked hard for what you wanted and this guy, like most all 'journalists', think it's just some momentary idealized life.

    ReplyDelete