Friday, June 15, 2012

Accepting loss: or, how I failed to explain Forex to a teenager

“Loss is a part of life. Is that too cliché? Yeah, it is.
“Let me start over.
“Loss… is inevitable. Even when things are going good. No way to escape it. Figure that one out and you’ll make millions off the self-help suckers.”
My teenage cousin stares blankly back at me. Doesn’t blink. Doesn’t like my joke. Beneath the table, he’s texting on his Smartphone. Never breaks eye contact. “What’s that got to do with Fortex?” he asks. Though there’s an inflection in his voice, I can tell his question is defensive, rather than curious. Indifferent, at the very least.
“ForEX,” I correct. “It’s like this – no one ever JUST profits in the market. Think of the most successful person you know. Even they’ve failed before. Lost everything. Started over. But – and this is a big BUT – the second time around, they took what they learned from that first failure and applied it. Refused to make the same mistakes.”
My cousin snickers: “Wish you had told me that last week.”
“Why, what happened last week?” I can tell he hadn’t intended the thought to escape his mouth.
He hangs his heads. “Girlfriend broke up with me. Second one in… six months?” This question he poses to his memory.
“And were things going good?”
“For a while, yeah. But then at three months it’s like something happens. They flick a switch. Or I do. I don’t know. One or the other."
"It’s called the ‘honeymoon’ stage. Every couple goes through it.”
“And it lasts three months?”
“Depends.”
He sarcastically snorts: “Depends” as if he were expecting me to give him a definitive answer.
“No one ever knows,” I say. “Just all of a sudden – the little quirks you once found cute drive you crazy. The grating sound her teeth make against her fork when she eats. How she demands that toothpaste be squeezed from the bottom. Things change. Good to bad. Just like that. Sometimes it’s inexplicable. Other times not. You have to fight to keep the things you want in life. For the most part – the world is out to take them away from you.”
My cousin pockets his Smartphone. For the first time, I have his undivided attention. No texts. No tweets. Not even a beep. His eyes bear into mine. “She said the same things my last girlfriend did. I’m too distant. Not a good listener. 'We never do what I wanna do...'” He sighs. “What can you do?”  
“Appreciate good things while they’re going. Eventually, you dance with the devil, and you’re gonna get burned.”
OK – one last  cliché. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow.



    The spaces act to demonstrate my actual appreciation and total agreeing nature with what you just said. life always throws us curve balls, but it's what we do with those unexpected pitches that determine what our character is made of. Troy, you definitely gave your cousin some sage advice that I myself have given to people on many occasions. And really, it's never about winning or losing, loving or prowling, it's about what we do with the time that we have. Your words speak to me, Troy. Stay with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just like your lyrics, Troy. I swoon every opportunity I get to hear you or read your thoughts. Your cousin is lucky to have you in his life.

    I was just broken up with and I was truly hurt, but I realized that there's so many fish in this earth sea that what it really did was free me up for something else that's really right for me. Keep the rock alive!!!! and THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hey Jack,

      Forex is an online currency exchange market where, for example, you could trade your stock in Dollars for stock in Euros, or Yen. Depending on about a MILLION other variables, the value of that stock can go up and down. (Just like the NY Stock exchange) But beware -- it's easy to lose money that's not coming directly out of your hand. When it's just ones and zeros on screen, there's something illusionary about it. In my opinion, don't let your hard earned cash slip away by 'gambling' on Forex. Then again, some have made a living out of it. So it's up to you to decide, but only after educating yourself on the market. This question was a good start.

      Delete