Thursday, June 21, 2012

Having a Voice

My voice. Feelin' a bit raspy. Fighting an infection. But I make it through another recording session, then another round of preparation for radio interviews. The typical questions -- when and why did I start playing. What are my fondest musical memories. Do I get nervous before a big show.

I have the answers down pat now.

The only way I get through it all is a warm lemon tea. Finally, someone plays back one of the tracks from rehearsal over the loudspeakers. It's the thousandth time I've heard "End of Summer," but still, somehow, it's not my voice. Not the voice talking to my tour manager a moment ago, anyway. The raspy me.

My voice takes over the room, resting occasionally to make way for one of Mike's bombardment on drums. And just when I think it's gone forever -- there it is again. Is that really me?

Can't shake the thought. But I'm comforted knowing I've found my voice. I hope you find yours. And once you do, never let it go. Through colds and setbacks and moments of self doubt, let your voice be your guidance. I have, and I'm happy.

6 comments:

  1. Ahh, more words of wisdom from the man who's following his heart. From my end, you're voice is indelible. And even more so true is you're right. Once you've at least figured out some idea of who you are, you can then start working on being the best possible you ... without taking shit from anyone because you know that you believe in yourself. That's all that matters at the end of the day, I think at least, is asking yourself, "Was I me today?" and answering with an overwhelming, "YES!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Was I me today?" What I a great question to ask at the end of any day, Tim. I hope your answer will always be "YES!" And at in the end, no matter how we're judged, we will at least be worthy of judgment.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Troy. I'm glad you brought up the worth of judgement, too, because really the only person/entity/being whose judgement does matter for us, is our own. "We are our own biggest critics" is what the cliche is, but it's cliche for a reason. It's true. I too have found that if we project good and love than it comes back to us infinite-fold. And when we do that, others perception of us can hugely fall inline with what we are consciously (and subconsciously) putting out to the universe... No one can deny someone that is real, that is life.

      Delete
  2. You guys are so right. The turmoil we go through in our lives doesn't truly matter when we can understand and internalize the issue and then still project goodness to the universe. Maybe you can agree, Troy: it's not about what we're doing, whether it's art or music or sports, but it's if you put all of your true self into it that you will received the greatest reward - which is achieving and surpassing your hopes and dreams. Goodspeed to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What we project into the universe, the universe has a funny way of returning. If we expect disappointment, frustration, anger, they'll eventually find us. Or we'll find them. I truly believe the universe is 99% how we react to our experiences. So create your own universe, complete with your own future.

      Delete
    2. And then we can all revel in this new, near perfect, utopian universe together!... Wait! WE ARE!!!!!

      I believe that as well. The Law of Attraction says all we need to know - Like attracts Like. Put out good, good will come back, and, if like you say Troy, we react in a way that is truly aligned with our beliefs, than we can't lose.

      Delete