Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The things we'd tell ourselves

It's two in the morning and everyone on board our bus is starving. We missed dinner earlier because of the set time and now, it seems everywhere we stop is closed.
We finally spot a 24-hour Wendy's at a truck stop in Minnesota. As everyone eagerly files inside, we're surprised to find several others waiting to order.
"Is that --" starts someone.
"I think it is," says Andrew.
Standing at the counter is Dan Whitesides, drummer for The Used, alongside his wife, Brittni. They place their orders and move aside.
"Next," the cashier calls.
We proceed to place order after order while chatting with Dan about the tour so far. He's an undeniably friendly guy and wishes us well after the cashier calls his number. "245!"
Once back on board the bus, there's an elongated moment of savory silence. Everyone is too busy chewing, drinking, to make eye-contact. Chili-cheese fries. Spicy chicken sandwiches. The processed life.
"You know," starts Dan, our gawky and awkwardly tan promotions manager. The break in silence captures everyone's attention. "I wish I could go back and tell 11 year-old me that one day he'd be ordering a burger with the drummer from The Used. I think he'd like that."
Which gets me thinking. What would I tell my naive younger-self?
"Keep calm. Rock on."

  

5 comments:

  1. That's amazing. Meeting idols is explosive and humbling and everything between. It's like the feeling of love. Real, two souls meshing as one in an infinite climb towards the infinite. A part of one another as the physical world that brings their bodies together, the tree of one. It makes life worth living. Knowing what we're working for is worth it and can come true, and that we can be loved for everything we are, loving just as infinitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS amazing. What's it like being the idol that people want to meet, Troy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't consider myself an idol by any means, but I do take pride in being a positive role model. I think musicians, artists, and athletes alike are often put on a pedestal by their fans, when really, you have to remember that we're all human beings. Regardless of race, sexual orientation, or how many records you've sold. People are people wherever you go. If you can be tolerant to that -- then you're a person worthy of being idolized.

      Delete
  3. This is kind of ridiculous, but I remember I was in a play once - The Music Man - and after the show, a little kid asked for my autograph. I was a Barbershop Quartet member. It feels incredible thinking that someone else was that moved/impressed/whatever by something you did that they want to be able to look at your signature as a part of their life. You get to do that everyday, Troy. That's NUTS. Yeah, how DOES that feel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly -- it's an honor. Every smiling face I see. Every fan that waits after the show just to take a picture. I'm honored by all of it, and somehow, I think it will always be a tad unreal.

      Delete