Thursday, July 12, 2012

Education

Five of us are circled under the tent. Devin, Dan, Andrew, John and myself. We're enjoying a mid-afternoon beer and reflecting on childhood.
John says, "I remember in the 3rd grade, it was parent-teacher night and I'm sitting there with my mom and the teacher goes: 'John's no good. He's trouble and he'll never amount to anything.' And that stuck with me. Even to this day, I think."
And it's funny because Andrew remembers a similar teacher in 3rd grade.  "She told me I was stupid because I didn't understand what Pi was. Forget that I had taken all sorts of advanced placement classes before that. She had it set in her head. I was hopeless."
"Girlfriend in college told me I was utterly hopeless in life, too," adds Dan.
That's when we realize we've all had that naysayer at one point in time. Who told us we weren't good enough. Could never work hard enough. Had next-to-nothing potential.
But ask Devin and he'll be the first to tell you he wouldn't trade his neurotic work ethic for the world. "It's gotten me to where I am," he admits with a smile. "So when I finish with something, I know it's the best it could possibly be." All because his parents -- teachers first and foremost -- had challenged him years ago. We have the choice to fight what comes innately, or embrace it. No matter what sort of 'education' we've received.  So stop making excuses. Stop trying to justify the things that bring you happiness. You're happy for a reason. Learn why, and you'll live a fuller life than most..

4 comments:

  1. GAH! It's such truth. No matter what happens to us, we have the power to make it what we want. People tell you your awful, work even harder to be not awful. People tell you you're great, work even harder to be great. I heard a cool line the other day that said, "You only end up in the gutter if you choose to live your life on the curb." So get off the curb, run to the top of the roof of the building on that sidewalk, and scream your dreams to the world. One day you will fly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a rather important note: these people exist all over, I've seen it myself, but how is it possible that a teacher can tell a student, a child, that they're worthless and dumb. It's insane that these people are allowed to even breath. Their job is to nurture a growing sponge with care, discipline, goodness, and knowledge. Not garbage. These teachers should be shot and let other teachers who actually care take their place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, Tim. I think good teachers need to get paid much, MUCH more and the bad ones got to go!

      Delete
  3. I agree. Work hard and learn as much as you can in life.

    ReplyDelete