Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Bailing

Knock, knock, knock.
Mike's standing alongside Sasha at the door to room 326 of the Courtyard Suits just outside of Dallas. The only problem is -- nobody's answering.
"You think Devin and Eric are asleep?" asks Mike.
Sasha's hiding against the wall. "We should hide," he suggests.
Knock, knock, knock.
Tension mounts as the two listen for approaching footsteps. Still -- nothing.
Mike hangs his head. He's about to give  up, when --
The metallic unbuckling of the door latch. It swings open to reveal a middle-aged, bald man in a polo shirt and flip flops.
"What is it?" he bellows in an English accent.
"Uh..." stutters Mike. He turns to Sasha for support -- except Sasha's running for his life, already halfway down the hallway, bailing.
Mike turns back to the Englishman, opens his mouth to explain the misunderstanding when he's interrupted:
"Do you just go around knocking on people's doors then, is that it?"
"Sorry, I thought this was my friends' room."
"Who goes around knocking on people's doors in the middle of the night?"
"Like I said -- I thought this was my friends  room. I'm sorry." And with the apology, Mike heads  down the hallway. Confrontation over and averted.
The Englishman, on the other hand, hasn't had enough. "You just gonna go around knocking on other people's doors then, are you?"
Mike stops. "I said I'm sorry," but really, he's thinking -- "You're not going to fight me in this hotel, you idiot."

Five minutes later, Mike discovers Sasha outside of the lobby smoking a cigarette. He turns to Mike with a Cheshire smile and chuckles, "This was a good experience."

7 comments:

  1. Freshman year I'm in my room doing a paper. The library is closed and the deadline is in the morning. My roommate busts open the door with his then girlfriend of the fortnight and drunkenly belts out, "Dude, I really need to have sex right now." I snidely respond, "That's great, man. I'm not going anywhere, this papers due in six hours." "Welp..." he says and proceeds to tie a string diagonally from the top door hinge to the back of the television on the dresser.
    Thank god for noise-canceling headphones and rock n roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time in high school my friend was house sitting in a nearby town. He invited a few of us to come hang out on one of the nights. The idiots we were, when he wasn't around, we turned around all of the picture frames on this table in the den. There had to be at least 30 framed photos from 3x5's up to 8.5x11. He didn't notice and since he never said anything about the family questioning him, it seemed they didn't either. I still wonder what they must have said when they noticed. It could have been months later, they're just watching a movie and suddenly, 'what the....'

    I would have laughed if it were me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all wild stories!! The other night my friend was climbing down my fire escape from the roof. When she got to the landing and about to crawl into the window she missed her footing and fell through the hole where the stairs go down. Luckily she only fell one story and was okay with minor scratches and bruises, but she was so close to falling over the railing and down five flights into the cement courtyard. It was so scary. It's crazy how things turn out sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god. I'm so glad she's okay. That sounds horrible. Those stairs are always so frightening. I always feel like those things are never up to fire code. I mean, how many times do you see anyone out there checking the safety of them? It freaks me out.

      Delete
    2. I know right? She said she went limp and tried to relax because that's what she remembered hearing. She said, "It's not like my life flashed before my eyes or anything." But she was definitely scared.

      Delete
  4. Here's where she fell through:

    http://lovechili.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/the-ladder/

    (the comment box won't let me post the image here)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way, that's insane. My heart goes out to your friend. I just hope she's ok. I hope she doesn't have a new fear of ladders or fire escapes now.
    I like the idea of your blog, too. Keep going! I'll send in a question soon.

    ReplyDelete