Monday, September 17, 2012

In the Back of a Speeding Convertible

Sunset on Sunset Boulevard. I'm in the back of a speeding convertible letting what's left of the sunlight shower over me. Not sure where we're going. Burgers and fires, maybe? Beer? Can't seem to remember, but who really cares when the wind's whipping your hair and the smell of freshly cut palm trees tangos under your nose.
Tourists line the sidewalks leading up to Hollywood Boulevard snapping photos of their favorite celebrities' stars. Mickey Mouse. Shrek. A Japanese couple kneels on Jimmy Hendrix to pose with Godzilla. And I'm convinced -- culture's gone to hell.
My spirit's lifted at a red light, when a car full of beautiful women pulls up beside us.
"Where are you guys headed?" asks Brunette with Fedora.
"Uh --" I start. "I'm not sure."
"How can you not be sure?"
"On a day like this -- does it matter?"
She smiles at me. Winks. From inside their car, I can hear suppressed giggling mixed with urging. She says, "We were going to go see the Hollywood sign, but --"
Green light.
"Follow us," I call as the car takes off.
And they do.
Where we're going -- I still can't remember. But my friend, the driver, turns to me and says, "This is going to be fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment