Thursday, January 17, 2013

Discovering New in the Old

Last night, a fan came up to me while I was out with some friends. She said she loved the song, "End of Summer," and she played it all the time. But she wondered if I ever got tired of playing it. If it ever started to sound stale to me on the radio, or on stage.
The great thing about music, I told her, is that no song is ever the same, so no song ever gets old. You could play it a million times, each time strumming a single chord differently. Singing a note higher, or lower. You have to let the music take you away. Sasha has come up with some pretty rocking stuff in the middle of some of his guitar solos. Stuff I never would've thought of. You just have to feel the music, and allow yourself to be creative, and spontaneous. It's OK to not know where a song, or a riff, is going. As long as you follow it all the way there. I think you'll find it takes you exciting new places in music you once thought were old and overplayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment