Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I love a good cup of coffee. I love sitting down at a coffee shop even more. I can enjoy the fresh air. Answer my emails. Take a look at my blog. Surround myself with strangers.

What I notice above all is this -- we're all on laptops! Hunched over, sipping our Grande mocha frappe chinos and wondering what the person next to us is doing on their computer. Homework? Watching Youtube? (Which in my case turns out to be true...)

But with some many people concentrated in a single area, and with so many hard drives exposed, no wonder so many people are victimized by hackers each year. Now, I'm not going to even try to sound like I know how wireless routers work, because I don't. But with  literally dozens of different computers accessing the Internet -- emails, bank accounts, Facebooks, etc. -- it's almost inevitably the lines will get crossed. 

Hackers, of course, cross a moral line when they pry into other people's private information. Often times, they disguise their acts by saying it's "for the cause." For liberty. For freedom. For transparency. But I say, "What freedom? What liberty?" When you have to worry about who might get into your Internet history, who might be opening a credit card in your name -- that's not freedom. That's fear. 

Fascists rule with fear.  In a democratic society, we should feel safe to enjoy our individual freedoms. So don't be afraid of hackers. You're only making them stronger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment